Bone, joint or muscle pain?
You can now see a Physiotherapist without consulting with the GP. We are working as part of our local Primary Care Network with Well Street Surgery to provide an improved physiotherapy service. This enables you to access a physio without first having an appointment with a doctor.
If you see or speak to your GP about the problem you cannot see the First Contact Physio and will be referred in the normal way to routine physio.
The First Contact Physiotherapist will…
- Assess you and diagnose what’s happening
- Give expert advice on how to best manage your condition
- Refer you on to specialist services, further physiotherapy or imaging if necessary
- Recommend exercises and other approaches to deal with the issue
A national evaluation of First Contact Physiotherapists showed…
- Faster access to expert advice
- Excellent patient feedback
How do I get an appointment with a First Contact Physiotherapist?
- You do not need to see your GP first.
- Please complete an Engage Consult, answering all the questions to describe your problem and let us know you would like to see the First Contact Physiotherapist.
Is a First Contact Physiotherapist appropriate for you?
- The physiotherapist can assess people with:
- All soft tissue injuries, sprains, strains or sports injuries.
- Arthritis – any joint.
- Possible problems with muscles, ligaments, tendons or bone, eg tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, ankle sprains.
- Spinal pain including lower, midback and neck pain.
- Spinal-related pain in arms or legs, including nerve symptoms, eg pins and needles or numbness.
- Post-orthopaedic surgery.
- The service is only available for those aged 16 and over.
- It is not for problems you have already consulted with the GP about. For these concerns, the GP will be able to refer you in the routine way for physiotherapy.
- If you are generally feeling unwell/ feverish/ sick/ dizzy/ vomiting please consult with a GP.
- Health A - Z
- Pharmacy First
- Live Well
- Long Term Conditions
- Your Cholesterol
- Quit Smoking
- Digital Weight Management
- Drink Less
- Sexual Health
- Age Well
- In Times of Bereavement
- Mental Health Resources
- Pregnancy Care Planner
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.